Thursday, September 13, 2007

Authority, Ambition, Ability

"Do women need to soft-shell their ambition with self depreciation and a nurturing style?" (Wilson pg 56). This quote resonated with me as I was reading these chapters. Women have been fighting for the right to be equal with men for a very long time and when I read this quote I began to think that it was completely true. That many times women are wearing a mask that is not truly doing them justice. Why are women willing to let this mask be the permanent mask that they wear?
I found that reading this book I am learning more about the actually facts of the workforce that facts that I would otherwise not have known. The authors bring up good points that make me wonder what type of woman I will be in leadership. Will I fall to the same status and thinking that I do no deserve a position due to being a woman? Or will I be able to be the ambitious one and go the extra mile to get to the position that I deserve?
The author says that ambition in men is disregarded and thought to be natural but when shown by women it is many times misconceived as aggressive or demanding behavior. The traditional view of women is slowly changing but it seems to be one extreme or the other. We are either recognized for the work that we do or we are not view in the correct light. I found it very interested that authors stress that motherhood is not actually a woman’s downfall, but the source of power. A woman is the one that reproduce and that gives her power of the male counterpart. I found other interesting thoughts in the book and look forward to reading more into depth.

No comments: