Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ambition and Authority

I love this book, but it frustrates me at times because I can identify with the books theories from personal experience, mainly from Student Government (which is a male dominating environment). There were a few things that hit home. First - on the subject that women like to be supported and mentored, encouraged. I definitely agree with that, i turn to my sisters for support on the actions I make in my leadership positions. Second- The fact that women need support and that women don't support women I believe is true. There have been too many times when I call men out when they are being sexist and I have had my girl friends get embarrassed and turn the other way or ask me why I make a big fuss out of every silly thing, yet they don't call out our male friends when they make a fuss about unfair stereo types. Also it bothers me when women stand back and just say "oh, its a guy thing", i feel like its a character thing which explains why women still stick to female stereo types. If the battle that women are fighting today is the stereo types then how can we do that if we are not supported by our fellow females. The book mentions that we do need to change the perception of our sisters in order to change the pereception of society, but I think that we need more direction so that we can change the stereo types of women in a more efficient way.... but the question is, how can we set a direction to change these stereo types of women, that feel tangible through personal and every day experiences when other women dont argue these stereo types (as well as men) and claim it to be just a figment of my imagination (aka - crazy feminist) which they say just to help them sleep at night?

1 comment:

Brittany K said...

Being on the student government with mostly men do you think that it has changed you as a leader by having to go against or work with men?